28. Building & Maintaining a Successful Compliance Unit (*) – All
Moderator: Kellee da Roza, Allianz Global Corporate & Specialty
Matt Brasch, Buckle Insurance
Adrienne Lewis, Perr&Knight
Scott Whitaker, Perr&Knight
Are you new to a leadership or management role in a legal or compliance department? Are you an experienced compliance leader looking for new ideas? Or are you new to compliance and wondering how the function is managed? This engaging session features a panel of experienced leaders in legal and compliance roles in a variety of lines of business who will offer practical tips on how to create and sustain a successful and efficient compliance program. Topics will include staffing compliance roles both on-site and remote employees, structuring departmental and organizational compliance functions, budgeting for inside and outside compliance resources, best practices for staying on top of the never-ending flow of new compliance obligations, and ways to ensure that your company maintains and follows the existing policies and procedures you’ve already established.
29. The state of the Insurance Industry and COVID 19 in 2021 – L/A/H
Moderator: Rebecca Latham, Americo
George Cash, Compliance Protective Life
Merlinda Johnson, RedEd
Sonja Rodebaugh, Martin & Company
Margie Webber, RegEd
In 2020, COVID-19 brought about drastic and lasting changes to the Insurance industry. As compliance related to COVID-19 continues to evolve, our industry must continue to adapt. In this session, our panel of experts will provide insight into the past and current state of our industry in the wake of COVID-19, what changes have taken place in 2021 and what may be coming in the future.
30. New Technology – New Compliance Considerations – P&C
Moderator: Christine O’Brien, Milliman
Terri Hitchcock, Thimble Insurance
Margo Tank, DLA Piper LLP
Isn’t technology wonderful? It makes life faster, easier, and… more complicated! Explore the ways that digital simplification of the insurance process has created a minefield of complexities for the compliance professional. Learn how Insurer/Insured interactions are impacted, what is meant by “portal underwriting,” and how automation affects the underwriting, claims, and policy issuance processes.
31. Mining the NAIC & Other Websites for Gold – P&C
Lori Dreaver Munn, AAIS
Randy Helder, NAIC
Elizabeth Tosaris, Locke Lord LLP
Most people do not realize how much time saving content there is on the NAIC website and other websites that can really save time in preparing filings or responding to issues. Examples include:
- 50 State Maps for: DOI websites, SERFF Public Access, Market Conduct Exams, State Rate, Rule and Form Checklists
- Product Requirements Locator
- CIS to look up company information and complaint information to benchmark against.
- Committee sites to look up hot topics, lists of market conduct coordinators, draft model laws, etc.
- CIPR: Center for Insurance Policy Research
- NAIC Coronavirus Research Center
- NAIC Market Share Data
- MCAS Report Cards
Other helpful websites with content include:
- IICMVA – DMV Reporting requirements
- IAIABC – Workers Comp POC requirements
- ICAE – Insurance Complaint Information
The session will highlight these free resources and more and how they can help in filing and compliance efforts.
32. Regulator Hot Topics – L/A/H
Moderator: Maryana Grodnova-Ware, Nebraska Department of Insurance
Elise Andy, Virginia Department of Insurance
James Dunn, Florida Office of Insurance Regulation
John Haworth, Washington State Office of Insurance
Eric Vieweg, State of Connecticut Insurance Department
What’s HOT in the LHA world? Hear from these Regulator Partners about what’s hot in their states and around the country.