Happy Anniversary to … the AICP !
You may not have realized it, but the AICP is celebrating its 25th Anniversary in 2010. From its humble beginnings in 1985 by 7 dedicated, idealistic and forward looking individuals to the 1,500- plus-member organization it is today, the AICP is proud to celebrate 25 years of serving the insurance compliance community.
To honor and recognize this amazing accomplishment the AICP Executive Committee established a special task force that will work throughout the year to highlight the AICP’s growth and accomplishments.
To kick off the celebration, the task force created a 25th Anniversary Logo that will replace the regular AICP logo for the coming year. Look for the logo on AICP correspondence, on the AICP website and on some special AICP items commemorating the organization’s anniversary.
The task force wants to make the celebration a yearlong event that will inspire pride in all members and build momentum for the AICP’s next 25 years. If you have any ideas on how the AICP can celebrate or promote its anniversary, please let Bill Douglas know. The AICP’s 25 years of success are due to you, the members, and we want you to be part of the celebration.
We think you will be intrigued by the history of the organization and the growth and the milestones it achieved over the last 25 years. We look forward to a great and memorable year.
Nick Marrangoni, CPCU, ARC, CCP, ACS, API
AICP Vice President
Bill Douglas, FLMI, FFSI, AIRC, AAPA, ACS, CCP
25th Anniversary Task Force Chair
AICP — 25 Years Young
Soon after beginning her AICP Presidency, Ginny McHugh formed an AICP 25th Anniversary Task Force, but the goal is not to have the 25th anniversary as the focus of the AICP this year. Rather, the AICP will continue to pursue efforts and initiatives in line with our mission statement that have made us successful.
As we think of our first 25 years as an organization, what makes us unique? What have we accomplished? In other words, do we really have something to celebrate? Let’s take a brief look at significant events during our history and see if we can answer that question.
- We started very informally. A few P&C compliance professionals who attended the quarterly NAIC meetings got together for lunch to discuss state filing issues.
- During ’84 and ’85, speakers were invited to make presentations at our informal lunch meetings to address topics of interest.
- Lunch meetings soared from 3-4 folks to 60-70 very quickly. We were on to something. Sharing information and building professional networks were pent-up needs in our industry.
- A bylaws committee was formed to draft the organization’s bylaws and articles of incorporation. Jerry Bell led the bylaws committee with strong support from Bob Lennon.
- The principles of the association were adopted as of June 11, 1986.
- As of December 10, 1986, the Society of State Filers had 215 members representing 152 carriers.
- The education committee was formed as of April 20, 1987.
- News and Events, a precursor to what would eventually become The Journal, was first published in 1987.
- The Society of State Filers became incorporated in Delaware on November 16, 1988.
- The first stand-alone meeting (apart from the NAIC) was held in October 1988.
Was there a need for the Society of State Filers? The increased numbers attending lunch meetings speak for themselves. Was there a need to share current filing information and build professional networks? The rapid growth speaks for itself.
Since our beginning, we have continued to provide educational and networking opportunities, have expanded to include our regulatory community, have added the life & health industry, and have adapted to the changing needs of insurance compliance professionals.
Here are just a few changes to note:
- We changed our name to the Association of Insurance Compliance Professionals to more accurately describe the organization we had become.
- We continue to hold a very, very successful annual conference. Attendance has been as high as 800+.
- We have nine strong chapters that schedule meetings and events on a regional level.
- We have averaged 1500+ members for the last several years.
- We have made presentations before the NAIC, and we have partnered with IRES.
And so, when we think of our 25 years, the celebration is really one of recognizing the successes and positive changes we’ve made over those 25 years to meet the needs of our members in a dynamic insurance compliance industry. Each of us can take pride in the AICP’s years of providing value to its members and its industry. And we look forward to the next 25 years and our continued success and growth.
AICP 25th Anniversary Task Force
— Bill Douglas, Task Force Leader
— Karen Crooks, Shawna Greenway, Penny Kilberry, Steve LeHew, Nick Marrangoni, Kelly McCumber, Jan Shemanske, Doug Simino, Karen Yotis