We all have those quotes which inspire us, motivate us, make us laugh or just bring on fond memories. We intersperse them in our everyday speech, share them with others, print them on posters and even make up our own versions to suit our circumstances. We have quotes from famous people, quotes from movies and books and yes, even quotes from our moms – which stay with us throughout our lives. I have used quotes to inspire my team, to make my family realize I’m not as crazy as they think and sometimes, just to make me realize I’m not alone in the world. You see quotes show up on Facebook, Instagram – and yes – even Pinterest. You let the person who posted the item know your reaction – love, hate, laughter – and then in some cases share it with the world so others can have the same feeling you have. Quotes have a quiet power to them – which is easy to share with everyone – and everyone has a different reaction to the same quote. Some hit home hard, some cause a mild chuckle – and there are some that others just don’t understand – but that doesn’t stop us from sharing a personal glimpse into our inner self.
Since I love sharing my favorite quotes – here are some of the ones I use for my team when we are having a rough time – or just a lot of demands being made of our time –
- If you’re going through hell, keep going. Winston Churchill
- Start by doing what’s necessary; then do what’s possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible. Francis of Assisi
- Believe you can and you’re halfway there. Theodore Roosevelt
- Nothing is impossible, the word itself says ‘I’m possible’! Audrey Hepburn
Then, we have those days when we just need to put things into perspective – and what better way to do that than with laughter and reminding people that love and fellowship is what is important –
- No man has a good enough memory to be a successful liar. Abraham Lincoln
- Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
- ‘Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all. Alfred Lord Tennyson
- Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage. Lao Tzu
- Let us always meet each other with a smile, for the smile is the beginning of love. Mother Teresa
- People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did. But people will never forget how you made them feel. – Maya Angelou.
Of course, we wouldn’t be who we are without our moms who all said very similar things – we quote them all of the time to our own children – and sometimes to our friends just to show we remember what is REALLY important –
- Keeping making those goofy faces and your face will freeze that way.
- Don’t cross your eyes like that or they will stick.
- Always wear clean underwear in case you get hit by a car and the ambulance drivers have to cut off your cloths.
- Eat all of that food on your plate – people in [fill in the blank] are starving.
And where would we be without our movies and the wonderful lines we pick up from them! I happen to have a husband who can have entire conversations with others simply by using movie quotes. I don’t know how he does it – it’s a gift. Here are some of the more memorable movie quotes that you hear people use all of the time – and they probably don’t even know which movie they come from OR how old the quote really is!
- You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. Princess Bride (1987)
- Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn. Gone with the Wind (1939)
- I’m gonna make him an offer he can’t refuse. The Godfather (1972)
- Go ahead, make my day. Sudden Impact (1983)
- Toto, I’ve a feel we’re not in Kansas anymore. The Wizard of Oz (1939)
- Here’s looking at you, kid. Casablanca (1942)
- May the Force be with you. Star Wars (1977)
- Elementary, my dear Watson. The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (1939)
- Bond. James Bond. Dr. No (1963)
- I’ll be back. Terminator (1984)
- Hasta la vista, baby. Terminator 2: Judgement Day (1991)
- My precious. Lord of the Rings (2002)
- If you build it, he will come. Field of Dreams (1989)
- My mama always said life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re gonna get. Forest Gump (1994)
- I see dead people. The Sixth Sense (1999)
- I feel the need – the need for speed! Top Gun (1986)
- Houston, we have a problem. Apollo 13 (1995)
- I’m the king of the world! Titanic (1997)
So, now that you are armed with a few good quotes, the next time you have a discussion with your team – it could go something like this –
Houston, we have a problem! Before we start talking about the issue, just remember nothing is impossible, the word itself says ‘I’m possible’! However, I feel the need – the need for speed! Now, stop making those faces or your face will freeze that way! Now, now team – You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. Let us always meet each other with a smile, for the smile is the beginning of love. Okay, I know this is crazy but life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re gonna get. With that in mind, if you build it, he will come – and then we can finish up this project. I’m gonna make him an offer he can’t refuse. So, let’s get started – and May the Force be With You!
Do you have a favorite quote you like to use or refer to on a regular basis? Maybe one that makes you smile and lifts your spirits. Maybe it is one that invokes a great memory. We have a way you can share this with the rest of AICP membership – Wisdom Wednesdays! Every Wednesday, we will send out a quote that our members have indicated is meaningful for them. Just use this form to share with us your favorite quote – or maybe you have a few you would like to share! We would love to help you do that. And when you do – you will be able to say “I’m the king of the world!”
Hasta la vista, baby!